Turkey has recently adopted a new piece of legislation called “Turkish Industrial Property Act” (herein shall be referred to as the IP Act) regulating trademarks, patents, designs etc.
The IP Act was prepared in accordance with EU laws & regulations and it introduces significant changes some of which are listed below;
- The IP Act provides some protection for unregistered designs as well as parts of join products.
- Turkish Patent Institute is re-named as the Turkish Patent and Trademark Institute.
- Bad faith is recognised as a cancellation ground.
- Designs made by university staff and students will be regarded as university’s design. The designer, on the other hand, will be able to request a price from the university.
- Certain incentives for inventors are established with the IP Act.
In conclusion we believe that as a long awaited legislation, the IP Act will resolve some major issues.